Monday, July 23, 2007

Tagging with Technorati (Exercise #14)

I liked the advanced search features for Technorati. I think it really allows people a lot of choices in the kind of searches. I did the search for "Learning 2.0" and was surprised how many of the results were from librarians' pages. Many of the results were from programs similar to ours. It's nice to see other libraries and librarians I got the fewest results from doing a tag search for "Learning 2.0."

Technorati seems very mainstream in the kinds of results that come up. I have no doubt that the Popular tab shows what's really popular these days, but what's popular isn't always what I'm interested in. About the only search listed on the top searches that I was interested in was Harry Potter, and I didn't need Technorati to tell me Harry Potter was popular. I think I would be more interested in a site that highlighted more obscure and unusual blogs.

I usually like to try all the optional challenges for these exercises, but I wasn't really interested in trying to claim my blog. I can see if I was creating a blog for my library the use of having it show up on something like Technorati because you want it to reach as many people as possible. But I don't really care if the whole world can find my little blog for this program. I did though try to tag my post. We'll see if it works!





No comments: